Friday, April 26, 2013

He got muddy water

The other day I was watering the garden, and a pool of water began to form. It reminded me of what Chris Hadfield, a Canadian astronaut currently living in space abroad the International Space Station, had said in a video:
"We are going around the world eight kilometers a second. The sun and the earth are sort of in a fixed geometry, but we’re moving, so the angle between us and the sun and the earth is changing, and therefore the reflection of the sunlight changes, so we get a sun glint off the surface, and you can see water on the surface so nicely in the sun glint... pick out rivers and lakes and ponds. You can follow a whole river as the sun glints along it, something that you could barely see normally, and you catch the sun’s glint and it glows like a silver worm or a vein of ore, and then the angle changes and it’s as if someone turned the lights off on the river, and it wakes up."
Chris Hadfield's view of the Saint Lawrence's mouth from the ISS.


The water was just a puddle until the sun illuminated, and it mirrored the sun in its intensity.
  
Today I noticed that the water from the hose was beginning to erode the soil. The plot isn't leveled, with some soil stacked higher than other areas, so when I water the plants, it streams down and mimics a river. I also noticed the return of the mint. The roots are so frustrating. I'll be sure to trim the roots next time before I plant a plant.

Plant Wars: Return of the Mint
The earwigs weren't present today on the lemongrass, but snails were! I actually think snails are quite charming, although they are considered a garden pest.

To sum up this post, the garden has become so diverse. It has so many facets to it, and it surprises me everyday. I notice its new things constantly!




No comments:

Post a Comment