Friday, April 5, 2013

There's nothing you can do that can't be done

I finished weeding the two smaller garden plots entirely (except one weed that I mistook as a tomato plant), and I basically uprooted the majority of the mint (my dad helped pull out the "mint mound") from the largest plot. I'm still contemplating whether or not I should pull out the lemongrass from the largest plot so that I can start gardening from a clean slate, but I might just leave it there and transport it elsewhere if need be in the future.

Before and After
Here are some things that I learned while weeding that you may find helpful:
  1. When trying to pull out a weed that is growing in a groove, pull the weed towards a direction along the groove. For instance, if a weed was growing in a groove running left and right, either pull the weed from the left or from the right. Go with the grain!
  2. When trying to pull out a weed that is rooted strongly to the soil, move it in a circular motion a few times to loosen the soil.
  3. If the soil is packed very tight around a root, loosen the soil with your finger or a tool.
  4. When weeding, make your best effort to pull out the roots! It will be worth it in the long run as you'll have less weeds to deal with.
I'm going to loosen the soil some more with a garden claw since the soil hasn't been disrupted in months, and then I'll be able to begin planting!

"Springtime is the land awakening.  The March winds are the morning yawn." - Lewis Grizzard

No comments:

Post a Comment