Saturday, April 6, 2013

There beneath the blue suburban skies

I finished pulling out the mint completely and the weed that I mistook for a tomato plant. The mint roots put up a fight! Another gardening technique I learned that you may find helpful is that if the roots are very stubborn, dig around the roots with your hand or a gardening tool to expose the smaller roots. Once a majority of the roots are visible, it should be much easier to yank out. Pull from the largest/thickest root so that when you do pull out the main root/"backbone," the smaller ones also get pulled out.
I also loosened the soil from the two larger plots with the garden claw. The soil was already moist (my dad was watering other plants in the backyard) so that made things a lot easier. However, the little bits of weed drank up that moisture, and it's incredible how fast they grow! New weeds popped up overnight that weren't there yesterday.
To make things clearer, Plot A is the largest garden plot, Plot B is the second largest garden plot, and Plot C is the smallest garden plot. Plot A will probably be home to the herbs, Plot B to the vegetables, and Plot C to the flowers since they shouldn't take up too much space. But then again, it would be more aesthetically pleasing to have the flowers in Plot B so that they'd be more visible since Plot C is in the back of the garden.
 Next on my to-do list is to loosen up Plot C's soil and buy seeds or obtain some already-growing plants from other gardeners. The project has gone along nicely and in time for most of April. The hardest part is over, and now I can begin on the more enjoyable part!

Plot B
Plot A
Plot C(I moved the garden decorations to this plot so that I could loosen up the soil of the other two plots.)



No comments:

Post a Comment